Canada’s reputation for offering a stable and peaceful life is a major factor that attracts people to admire the country and choose it as a preferred destination to invite their families for permanent residency. In this discussion, we will focus on the spousal sponsorship program and the estimated processing time for obtaining a visa. Prior to that, let’s explore the general eligibility requirements for spousal sponsorship in Canada. Let’s begin.
To be eligible for spousal sponsorship in Canada, the following requirements must generally be met:
- Sponsorship Eligibility:
- You must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a registered Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
- You must be 18 years old or above
- In case you are living outside the country and have applied to sponsor your partner. It is compulsory to live in Canada once your spouse gets PR status.
- Relationship Eligibility:
- You must be legally married to your spouse or be in a common-law or conjugal relationship.
- Both opposite-sex and same-sex marriages are recognized in Canada.
- Common-law partners must have lived together continuously for at least one year.
- Conjugal partners must demonstrate that they have been in a committed and exclusive relationship for at least one year but are unable to marry or live together due to exceptional circumstances.
- Financial Support Eligibility:
- As the sponsor, you must demonstrate that you have sufficient income to provide for the basic needs of your spouse or partner.
- You will need to meet the minimum necessary income requirement, which varies based on the size of your family unit and the number of people you are sponsoring.
- Medical and Criminal Inadmissibility:
- Both the sponsor and the sponsored person must meet the medical and criminal admissibility requirements.
- This involves passing medical exams and providing police clearances from all countries where the sponsored person has lived for more than six months since turning 18.
The process of spousal sponsorship in Canada involves several steps. While processing times can vary, we will outline the general steps involved in the process and provide an estimated timeframe for each step. Please note that these timelines are approximate and can change based on individual circumstances and processing capacity.
Step 1: Sponsorship Application: The Canadian spouse or partner submits the sponsorship application to IRCC. This includes the sponsorship forms, supporting documents, and the processing fee.
Estimated Time: 1 to 2 months
Step 2: Sponsor Approval and File Transfer: IRCC reviews the sponsorship application and makes a decision on whether to approve or refuse the sponsorship. If approved, the application is forwarded to the appropriate visa office for further processing.
Estimated Time: 1 to 2 months
Step 3: Spousal Application Processing The sponsored spouse submits the application for permanent residence to the visa office. This includes the application forms, supporting documents, medical exams, and police clearances.
Estimated Time: 12 to 18 months (for outland sponsorship) or 12 to 24 months (for inland sponsorship)
Step 4: Background Check and Security Screening During the processing of the spousal application, IRCC conducts background checks and security screening on the sponsored spouse. This may involve verifying information, conducting interviews, and assessing admissibility.
Estimated Time: 3 to 12 months
Step 5: Decision on Permanent Residence Once the background checks and security screening are complete, IRCC makes a decision on the sponsored spouse’s application for permanent residence.
Estimated Time: 1 to 3 months
Step 6: Visa Issuance and Landing If the application is approved, the sponsored spouse is issued a permanent resident visa. They can then make arrangements to travel to Canada and become a permanent resident. At the port of entry, they will undergo the final immigration processing and receive their permanent resident status.
Estimated Time: Varies (depends on travel arrangements and processing at the port of entry)
It’s important to note that these timelines are approximate and can vary based on factors such as the specific visa office, individual circumstances, and any changes to processing times implemented by IRCC. It’s always recommended to consult the official IRCC website or contact IRCC directly for the most up-to-date information on spousal sponsorship processing times.
Still doubtful – Consider First-hand VISA Services for Reliable Assistance
While it may seem straightforward to seek assistance from the official Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) channels for applying to any visa category, the reality often presents a different set of challenges. Each individual faces unique circumstances and may encounter various difficulties during the visa application process. In such situations, turning to experienced visa consultants can be a reliable option. Renowned visa experts like Western Overseas take on the complete responsibility of guiding individuals through the entire process, offering end-to-end services to ensure visa success. With their assistance, applicants can rest assured that every aspect of their application is meticulously managed.
Western Overseas, as MARA-certified consultants, understands the intricacies involved in spousal sponsorship for Canada. By choosing them as your trusted partner, you can eliminate the need to worry about the complexities of the process. Their team of experts possesses comprehensive knowledge and expertise in navigating the intricacies of the spousal sponsorship Canada application. They will handle everything on your behalf, from initial documentation to final submission, providing you with peace of mind throughout the process.
With them, you can rely on their commitment to delivering exceptional services. Their experienced consultants work closely with you to understand your specific circumstances and tailor their guidance accordingly. By entrusting your spousal sponsorship application to Western Overseas, you can have confidence in their ability to effectively manage all aspects of the process, ensuring a smooth and successful outcome.